Google
 

Friday, December 21, 2007

I've been tagged - Male Edition

Since my DW was tagged, and I don't have any TMI stories to share right now, I figured I would tag myself and join in the fun.

Christmas Meme

1. Egg nog or Hot Chocolate?
Egg nog. I hunt for different varieties for just drinking and then premium for the Christmas morning special: Egg nog, rum and sometimes cinnamon. Mmmm.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Who is this Santa person? We wrap everything and then try to save the paper for next year; usually is a lost cause.

3. Coloured lights on tree/house or white?
Very few plain white lights look good to me. I like the colours, I like the blinking and I like the ones that have random patterns.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope. But bring some cheerleaders into the neighbourhood and that might change.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
When my wife says to.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
I also love baked ham. I love turkey with real cranberry jelly. I love the Trini dishes my wife has gotten so good at making.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child.
Having family friends Parang at our house, three o'clock in the morning. Walking into the smell of fresh bread and sweetbread and other baking my mother did while we were out at midnight mass. Waking in the morning, opening gifts, eating breakfast with everyone, eggnog all day, and on and on.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
When I realized that the guy in the red suit kept changing each time I saw him.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas eve?
As a child, we used to get to open one gift before bed. Everything else waited until we woke up Christmas morning. It was quite a time. Now, we do it all on Christmas day.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
I like a full tree. Something on every branch basically. Blinking things, things that makes sound, spray snow, the works!

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
I love snow, hate the extreme cold and wind chill.

12. Can you ice skate?
I can watch it on TV without gagging but my incredible sh*tty sense of balance keeps me off skates and the children safe.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I am a do or die Toronto Maple Leafs hockey fan. Since Pam and I got together, she has know that Saturday night is called HNIC (Hockey Night in Canada) night in our house. She has heard me saying "Dougie" this and "Dougie" that as No. 93 Doug Gilmour is my favourite player of all time. So, she sneakily goes off and buys me a rather expensive, authentic Gilmour jersey for Christmas about three years ago. I was speechless and I cried as it was the single most significant gift that anyone has ever given to me because I had not asked for it, did not expect it and it was something that means so much to me. I am tearing up now just thinking of the day. Next.

14. What is the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Family. Food. Drink. But mainly family (and friends).

15. What is your favorite Holiday dessert?
Don't really have one but I love creme brulee, which Pam makes exceptionally well.

16. What is your favorite Holiday tradition?
Going Paranging early Christmas morning. To explain quickly, it means going from house to house of family and friends, waking them up, to share some food and drink and best wishes for the season. I will try to find a link that explains it better.

17. What tops your tree?
An angel. It has been in my family for over 30 years.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Both :)

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
Nat King Cole - A Christmas Song. If this does not play in my house, it is not Christmas. Lots of other classics from Bing Crosby and others plus some more contemporary favourites from Destiny's Child, Barenaked Ladies, Mariah Carey, Boys To Men, Sounds of Blackness and others.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
Yum. Big ones that take a week to finish.


So, I'll tag:
Famine
Wizdom
Spiff

No comments: