Google
 

Monday, January 08, 2007

Woman gives birth to sextuplets in Vancouver: reports - Yahoo! Canada News

So it seems that Canada has a first. These are the first sextuplets to ever be born in Canada. The last report I heard said that they were all just over 2 pounds and they were all looking pretty good, but tiny. (duh!). Let's hope that they can all hang on.

It's likely they were conceived using fertility drugs as it's apparently 4.3 billion to 1 to conceive sextuplets naturally. And sadly, the odds for all six surviving are even greater than that. Case in point, this family in 1973. I would like to hope that 24 years later that physicians are able to determine when someone is carrying more than 2 babies BEFORE she is about to have them. But I also have to say that in this day and age, why would any RE put a woman in a position where it was possible that she could have more than 2 or 3 embryos fertilize?

So what would you do if put in that same position? We're all trying desperately to have baby (or two) but what would you if you found out you were carrying seven or 6 or even 3? I know a lot of it comes down to the woman's health and such, but if it were me, I think any more than three and I think V. and I would be looking at selective reduction, as difficult as that choice may be. I think in my mind I've already decided that if, after we finally are able to go through the IVF, and my RE had transferred three embryos (she's said she'd do that given my age and my donor's), if all three embryos implanted I would not choose selective reduction at three.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

No comments: