Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Moving forward

Well, CD2 was today, finally!! It's not like I had to wait ages, but my cycle was 2 days longer than normal, and as luck would have it, I had a dentist appointment scheduled for this morning at 8:30am. This would mean I'd have to head over after the dentist and sign in for monitoring and bloodwork. I'd probably get there about 9:30-9:45. However, my day did not go as I planned. I was working on getting out of the house for 7:30am to give myself lots of time to get downtown, and deal with any issues I may encounter on the highway today. However, I got delayed by about 2o minutes because V. hadn't signed the contracts I needed to give in to the clinic. Not a biggie, and we rectified that before I left, but it meant that I was on Canada's busiest highway at 7:50am with 40 minutes to get downtown. Now I've done it before, on a weekday morning. But of course, Murphy raised his ugly head and decided that today would be a good day to slow it all down to a crawl. Needless to say, at 8:20, when I was still about a half hour away, I called and rescheduled the dentist. So, I headed to the clinic and arrived there about 9am.

At this clinic it's all first come first serve, as many of the fertility clinics are during monitoring hours. So, I get in at 9am and there is no one waiting for bloodwork so I headed over there immediately and got that out of the way. After that I put my name down on the list for ultrasound and sat down to wait. I'm glad I remembered to bring a book today. I think I waited about a half hour to be called. I'm thinking "hey, that's pretty good". After the ultrasound I headed back out to the waiting room and continued to read. By 10:15 I'm getting antsy and wondering how much longer it's going to be. I know I have to see the doctor and I was pretty sure I'd be seeing the nurse as well after that. At 10:30 I checked the list and OMG there were still four people ahead of me. I settled back down with my book and continued to wait. The doctor comes out and calls the 4 people ahead of me (there's another waiting area inside). Yeah! I'm next, whenever that will be. I think it was about 20 minutes later that he called my name. He looked at my scan for today, checked with the nurse about the status of the donor (still on track for late August/early September he says) and then prescribed birth control.

I know, some of you are wondering why. Basically the purpose is to sync my cycle with the donors and to suppress my lining.

Anyway, I met with the nurse and requested the prescription be written so I could fill it at the local pharmacy and get it covered without paying out of pocket first. I could have gotten it at the clinic, but I didn't want the hassle of submitting to my benefit plan, and the pharmacy down the street has me on file thanks to all the previous attempts we made a couple of years ago. I pay them the last of the money owed and am on my way at 11:15. So, all in all, I've been there for about 2.25 hours for what amounts to about 40 minutes of face time. All par for the course.

Anyway, I have to go back on day 20 of the pill so because that would have fallen on August 5th had I started today, I'll be starting that tomorrow. That way V. and I aren't stressed in trying to get to the clinic and then TC off to camp on the 5th and he will be able to come with me on the 6th as it will be a holiday here in Ontario.

So that's if for now. We're moving on. :)


Drowned Girl said...

Bet it's great to be actually getting underway!
Think of me tomorrow, I'm off for my lining checl for the FET, and to see the embryologist

LadyofAvalon56 said...


Go Pam, go Pam, go Pam!

Can't wait to see you knocked up. :)

daisy said...

I do have one question though, why do they want your lining to be suppressed?
Anyway, it's so exciting!

Pam said...

I don't think in my case the pill is for suppression, as in a regular IVF cycle (not DE), but more to synchronize me to the donor's cycle. :)