Google
 

Friday, August 31, 2007

Donor Update

Apparently they're just waiting for CD1 to start the protocol and from what I've been told that should start any day now, hopefully over the weekend. Once it's started, I should get a timeline for her protocol and a better idea of retrieval dates. They're still saying late September/early October alhtough our doctor says late September. I've asked what her protocol is mostly because no one has said and I don't know. I'm not sure if they'll tell me or not but I can't see why not. I was going to speculate as to what I thought it might be but decided that it would be pointless. So, we go forward anxiously waiting to hear more.

I have started wondering what we should give the donor as a thank you. I haven't talked to V. about this yet, but I will. I don't feel right not giving her something. I know we aren't allowed to identify ourselves to her, and we won't. But what does one give someone you don't know but who is giving you a very very precious gift? I've been looking at her profile again and she likes pottery and scrapbooking. Would a small piece of pottery be okay? Not being a scrapbooker I have no idea what someone might want. Should we be looking at giving her some thing from Lush, Body Shop or H2O? Or maybe a gift card someplace? I know that she will be in Toronto for probably 5 days, something like that. Do we give her a gift card to the large mall downtown for her to buy what she'd like? A gift certificate to a restaurant? It all sounds so impersonal for what she's doing for us. Help!

Anyway, that's if for now. I hope everyone has an enjoyable Labour Day weekend.

4 comments:

Kami said...

How exciting! Did I mention we will be cycle buddies? My retrieval (well, my donor's retrieval) is tentatively scheduled for Sept. 19th. This is our first DE cycle too and I have no idea what kind of gift to give her. We found her through a mutual friend and she is not even being compensated outside of reimbursing her expenses (her choice) so I would really like to get her something.

Which makes me wonder . . . you are compensating her, why a gift? I always knew I would even if we were compensating her, but it never occurred to me to compensate our sperm donor when we tried that. Hmmm . . .

Well, good luck!

Pam said...

Yeah, I know she's getting compensated, but I still want to give her something small, to thank her personally. Otherwise she's just a number. :) I'm not sure why, and I think if I hadn't been in the IF world for several years, and been reading blogs of others who have done DE, I might not have thought about it. I think it's different when someone uses donor sperm. I've not heard of anyone giving a gift to a sperm donor, possibly because their part in it, although extremely important, isn't as invasive to them as for an egg donor.

thrice said...

I think that's a lovely thought. I prefer to give an american express card. Maybe, it's just me, but I tend to not use gift cards when they are for specific stores. I store the cards where where I can't find them, and then when I need it I don't have it. With an amex card, I can usually use it on my next purchase, which means that I'll keep it in my wallet.

Anonymous said...

Barnswallow Pottery - North Pickering - very nice stuff...