Google
 

Friday, March 23, 2007

TGIF

It's been a long week. Yes, I know had a vacation 2 weeks ago but damn, I could use another. Compared to V. my week has been a breeze.

I'm all caught up at the office (that didn't take long), but this week has been blah. Besides feeling like I've getting a cold, it was CD1 on Wednesday and I've had the migraine from hell. I'm currently on day 3. I've taken the necessary meds, which alleviates the pain temporarily but invariably it comes back. I've got some server upgrades to do next week. We're changing the antivirus application that is running on the 12 servers I manage, so I need to uninstall the old one and install the new one, but because this has to be done after hours to minimize the disruption to the users. Sigh, why can't I have a normal 9-5 job? Better yet, why can't I just win the lottery so I don't have to work? ;)

V. on the other hand has had a terrible month. It was a month ago today that I was able to get into the doctor's office to get my CD3 bloodwork and such done because I was going on vacation. V. had great plans to get his done while I was away. However , due to circumstances beyond his control it just wasn't going to happen. Each week he has planned to go in. But, he's been on call for the last 2 weeks while his colleague has been on vacation and he's lucky to actually find time to sleep, let alone take a couple of hours to go out to the doctor (she's in the west end of the city) and get his tests done. I thought now that his colleague was back he'd have the latter part of this week to get that done as well as some of his backlog with work, and stuff at home and all. But it seems that when it rains, it pours, and he's got work stuff to deal with. I found out this morning he's back on call next week, but he assures me that with his colleague back at work, he's able to call on him to cover for a couple of hours so he can get out to the doctor.

I worry about him. He works way too hard. He's being pulled in multiple directions by many different people, situations, and tasks. Yes the man can multi-task, but just how long can he keep this up? He's not eating properly, nor is he sleeping enough. He's exhausted. He needs a vacation. But this time he needs one where he isn't expected to actually do work, just what he wants to do.

Guess I better go and buy more lottery tickets. :)

1 comment:

Gil said...

As per Mel's comment week: Buy some of those lottery tickets for me will you? It's too bad that all the prep work hasn't been done, but it will be. Chin up.
As to getting together, now THAT would be fun. I vote that you let me know when you're hoping to be in town (Jiliana2 (at) gmail (dot) com) and we can hook up for a chat, lunch, coffee, whatever. It would be great to meet you both. Sending much love from Ottawa.