Google
 

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Show & Tell: Yep. More Cake

It's that time again - Show & Tell

So you thought my life was way more interesting and I'd have something else to show you guys. Nope. Nada. Nyet. Not happening. There is nothing going on here except me and cake.

This week was the last class of the Tiered Cakes class I was doing. I really liked this course and I really like working with fondant. This last project was essentially a mock wedding cake. It was a two tiered, white almond wedding cake with lemon curd in the bottom layer and raspberry jam in the top layer. I got the recipe from here which is my go-to site for recipes. I doubled it to fill one 6"x3" pan and one 10"x3" pan. They were pretty full, 3/4 maybe, and I could have filled them a little less and made another 6" probably. Because of the size of the larger layer, I used a flower nail in the middle to ensure even baking. In future, I'd probably get a heating core for anything that big or bigger.

I was totally impressed at how moist and flavourful this cake was before I filled it. And the recipe doubled easily. I used a raspberry jam in the top and it tastes just like a jelly roll. The bottom was awesome with a home made lemon curd.

Oh, and the roses decorating the cake are all hand made by me. :) I think I may have found my calling....

Enjoy.


Check out what the rest of the class is showing.











9 comments:

EEMiles said...

Very pretty flowers!! I've always thought about taking some of those classes!

kate said...

Ooh. Pretty! That's always been my downfall. I am too uncoordinated to do any sort of decoration like that. I love to bake, but my projects usually have a decidedly uh, homespun quality!

Nancy said...

wow, what a gorgeous cake! It looks awesome!

jenn said...

It's beautiful!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Very impressive! I am so envious of your talent... I can't bake cakes, they always turn out dry. And don't get me started on decorating them... it ends up looking like a 5 year old did it.

Malky B. said...

Great job - very professional!

Coffeegrljapan said...

Okay - now I want CAKE! Or at the very least - cupcakes. amazing work.

Io said...

The roses are very impressive - that last one looks so delicate it looks real!

Unknown said...

Omigod gorgeous!