Google
 

Monday, April 30, 2007

Past, Present and Future

I know that I do not post a lot here but the good wife does such a good job, my interjection is rarely needed. Anyhow, I thought it was time to add a few cents into the mix.

One cannot help but contemplate because so much of this journey we are on involves sitting around and waiting. These days, the thoughts have drifted back to my high school days. I am a proud graduate of one of the last classes to take Grade 13 at Father Francis Libermann in Scarborough. Our motto at the school was/is, in Latin, Inter Mutanda Constantia; steadfastness in the midst of constant change. If ever there was a fitting description of life for us, that is it.

I am one of those lucky folks that is still in contact with a select few close friends from high school. Three of those people are Godparents to our daughter (the fourth is my little brother), another one was her sponsor when she was confirmed (Google Christian sacraments if you are unfamiliar). I am the Godfather and will be the sponsor to one school mate's child, I am the Godfather of another, and the "uncle" to many more. Lots of change as we "kids" become "adults" but when we are together, so little has changed between us it is like being back in the halls of the old school dishing out Buckwheats, snow wedgies, and other, uhm, wholesome fare.

So, I look into the future sometimes and wonder what time will bring. What will our offspring have to look forward to. I look, I wonder, and I shudder at the answers I see. The current generation, (as I am sure all previous generations have said about their followers) just don't seem to get it. This is not the Star Trek age where we have shields to protect us and miracles to cure us. No one is untouchable. No one is invincible. If you even doubt that, go to a homeless shelter, a home for the aged and a hospital in a 24 hour period. Tell me if you see all the difference between people or the simple common fact that we are all vulnerable.


And then I think again to the present, to our current child/young woman and to our future children and I lie awake wondering how the hell am I ever going to protect them. Gone are the days of the Waltons and Aunt Bea. Now it's religious fanatics, hidden agendas, and just plain crazy-assed people shooting other people for the sake of it. What have we "progressed" to?

Anyhow, with all the doom and gloom, I welcome the challenge ahead with open arms. All the better to choke the living daylights out of it.

Ciao.
V.

No comments: